Online-Seminar: Academic Presentation Skills
This presentation skills workshop is conducted completely online. The benefit of this course is the high level of individual feedback, which is not always possible in a larger, face to face workshop.
- The workshop begins with a trainer - led session via Zoom, or platform of your choice, for 3 hours (from 9:30 to 12:30). Participants can enter the virtual classroom up to 15 minutes before the start of the class.
- Following the training session, participants will be asked to make a short video of themselves giving a talk (for a maximum time of 5 minutes). The trainer will outline the task in more detail during the workshop.
- The trainer will watch the videos and set up individual appointments with the participants to give them feedback.
- What makes a successful conference presentation?
- Structuring your presentation for maximum impact ( getting and retaining audience attention)
- Considerations when presenting to an international audience
- Voice and pronunciation considerations
- Non-verbal communication and how to project credibility and confidence
- Understanding and controlling nervousness
- Handling the question and answer session
- Rehearsing and self-editing tips
- Design tips for visuals and slides
- Video based feedback
- Everything will be conducted online, but there will be opportunity for discussion among the participants using the break-out room function in Zoom.
- As well as structured input from the trainer, there will be individual feedback/coaching (including video)
- Participants will be provided with a handout, slides from the training and a comprehensive list of resources. The trainer is also happy to answer any questions on an ongoing basis by email or phone.
Target Audience: Doctoral candidates, postdocs and researchers who present at international conferences
Please inform yourself about current dates in the service portal under UR internal dates.
Lecturer: Lesley-Anne Weiling, Write English GbR, Köln
Registration: Online Registration
Update: The workshop is held online. The GA accepts no liability under data protection law or otherwise. More information will be provided after registration.
Participation Fee: free of charge