Academic Presentation Skills
The goal of this presentation workshop is to give academics the skills to get their message across in a compelling and confident manner. Most partcipants are non-native speakers of English and have to present their work at international conferences. The workshops focuses on a powerful presentation structure, phrases and vocabulary to engage the audience, clear pronunciation and confident body language.
• Pair & small group work
• General discussion
• Individual feedback/coaching (including video)
All learning styles and personality types are involved as the trainer understands some participants may initially be reluctant to speak in front of the group.
The presentation skills workshop is a lively, interactive session where everyone has the opportunity to present. Participants will be asked to prepare a short presentation in advance of the workshop to allow for the identification and coaching of individual needs. Typically participants are videoed for 3-4 minutes when they are giving a talk so they can analyse their strengths and weaknesses (the videos are not watched as a group).
• What makes a successful conference presentation?
• Structure and language of an English presentation
• Structuring your presentation for maximum impact (grabbing audience attention and keeping it)
• Considerations when presenting to an international audience
• Voice and pronunciation
• Rhetorical devices to keep your audience engaged
• Non verbal communication and how to project credibility and confidence
• Understanding and controlling nervousness
• Handling the question and answer session
• Rehearsing and self-editing
• What to do when things go wrong
• Design tips for visuals and slides
Please inform yourself about current dates in the service portal under UR internal dates.
Location: SR Theologie, Schwaansche Str. 5
Lecturer: Lesley-Anne Weiling, Write English GbR, Köln
Registration: Online Registration
Participation Fee: 150 € (Members of the Graduate Academy can use their virtual member budget to cover the course fees. The registration for the workshop is binding. Our conditions for participation apply.)